.

New Feature
A to Z of Randwick History
.

Randwick & District Historical Society Inc.


Founded in 1957 by Nell Pillars


Facebook     Youtube
R&DHS Logo
| Home | About Us | Join | History Articles | Links | Publications |

Drinking Fountain, Malabar

This monument is a concrete drinking fountain with a dome supported by three pillars designed for use by people and animals. It is located in Cromwell Park near the corner of Dacre Street and Fishermans Road, Malabar. It was dedicated to the public by the Brand Recreation Ground Trustees to commemorate the opening of the Public School at Long Bay. It was unveiled by David Storey, Mayor of Randwick, on 20th November 1909. The Trustees listed on the plaque were active members of the Long Bay community. Surveyed in 1847 and referred to as Long Bay, the suburb was proclaimed the village of Brand in 1899 after the Governor of NSW from 1895-1899. In 1933, after the wreck of the MV Malabar in Long Bay, the local residents requested the suburb be known as Malabar.

The marble tablet on the dome bears the words:

Cromwell Park, 1909. This fountain was dedicated to the public by the Brand Recreation Ground Trustees to commemorate the opening of the Public School at Long Bay. It was unveiled by David Storey, Esq., M.L.A. on the 20th November 1909.
Trustees:
H.H. Cunveen, President
J. L. Noerson
J. A. McClurkin
J. McClurkin
A. D. Graham
?. Wilkinson, Hon. Treasurer
H. J. Dudley, Hon. Secretary
Drinking Fountain, Cromwell Park
Concrete fountain in Cromwell Park, Malabar
Constructed in 1909.
Disclaimer     Contact Us