Explore Our Collections
Visit the Randwick & District Historical Society and explore our collections of local, historic documents and archival materials. Our team of volunteers can be on hand to help, so why not pay us a visit or contact us today.
The Society’s extensive collections are designed to document the history of Randwick & District:
Museum Collection which includes objects which aid the documentation of the history of Randwick Library, which includes published works about Randwick & District and its people as well as standard historical reference works.
Research Files include extensive material including photographs, ephemera, clippings, documents, realia, and reports relating to the history of Randwick & District:
- The Aboriginal People of Australia and the Indigenous People of the district
- People of interest in Randwick in areas of Sport, Arts, Politics, Commerce, Religion and Community Organisations
- Topical subjects such as Architecture, Art, the Environment, Migrant Groups, Motor Sport, Swimming, Racing, Rugby, Shipwrecks, Quarries, Cemeteries, Crime & Mystery, Transport
- Randwick’s districts – Coogee, Randwick, Clovelly, Maroubra, La Perouse, Matraville, Malabar, Long Bay, Chifley, Kingsford, Kensington, The Spot
- Maps from 1770 including aerial maps, land sale posters from 1883, and Water Board Maps from 1896
- Art including paintings, drawings, craft pieces, and other works of art that illustrate the history of Randwick
Photographs: The Society’s various collections hold many thousands of photographs providing an exhaustive photographic record of Randwick & District from the dawn of photography in the 1850s through to the present day
Costume & Textiles: A particular strength of the Society’s Museum collection is the range of costumes and textiles it holds. The costume collection is regularly used in displays and exhibitions to demonstrate changing fashions and social movements.
The Society welcomes donations of new material which helps to broaden the understanding of the history Randwick & District and its people.